return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Strange Behaviour with Uro

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Uromastyx ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ginag at Fri Mar 5 07:21:30 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ginag ]  

There are different types of sand sold at reptile stores. Calci-sand is just one brand and if it doesn't say it on the bag it's probably not it. While other brands may be safer they're extremely expensive compared to playsand. I know of a lot of breeders that use birdseed so that may not be a problem. I personally did not like it because after feeding it to my uro's I was seeing it somewhat undigested in it's feces up to 3 days later which worried me about the uro developing bacteria infections or impaction. These guys are very hardy though and can crunch thru dry peas and lentils so my concerns may be for nothing.
I'd be really careful about drying the sand thouroughly if you decided to wash it. That humidity will cause a uri. I personally don't wash it and never had a problem.
But as others have mentioned watch for symptoms of a uri. Can cause cold symptoms like puffy runny eyes, drooling, runny nose, etc. Salt build up on nose is not a symptom. If the temps are a concern for your tank make sure you have a good thermometer. If your having a hard time getting the temps up, either a 2nd light on the other end or cover the top of the other end with either newspaper or towel being careful to keep it away from the lights. Then watch the temps to make sure it's not overheating.
If he's still not eating try something different like a few tiny pieces of cantelope or summer or butternut squash. They love bright colors. In the spring mine love dandelions.

Hope that helps!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Strange Behaviour with Uro - mali009, Fri Mar 5 18:06:30 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: Strange Behaviour with Uro - mali009, Thu Mar 4 17:16:40 2010