return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Newly Adopted Leo

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Leopard Geckos ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: gonexenopus at Wed Mar 3 10:35:17 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by gonexenopus ]  

I recently (Saturday) adopted a juvie blizzard/patternless leopard gecko from the VA Reptile Rescue. He was one of the many herps from the huge wholesale/shipper seziure in Texas. He was also one of the few leo hatchling survivors. By the time they were finially surrendered to rescue groups they were skeletal He is a fighter!

BTW: not sure if "he" is really a he. I just call "him" that.

Anyways, he is about 4 inches long and has pretty good body weight, although I'd like to see his tail a little bit fatter.

When I went to feed him on Sunday he didn't show any interest in the 3 small crickets I offered him I picked up one and put it near his nose. He bit it and ate it. I did the same for the second cricket. He refused the third.

Monday he regurgitated the crickets I was (still kind of it?) worried about him not eating.

This is my first leopard gecko, but I have worked in petstores for years and have cared for many. I also have lots of other herp experience too. But the babies always make me nervous...

Anyways, I got some ExoTerra Electrodize (?) and mixed it in his water (bowl and sprayer) on Monday. I also offered him mealworms in a dish. This morning the 3 mealworms I offered were gone! YAY he ate them last night sometime!

My question is: How many small mealworms should I offer to this little leo? More then 3 a day?

Also, I've heard that juvie leos like their temps slightly cooler then that of adults. (like 80-85 in a the hotspot). Is this true??

Any suggestions would be appreciated! I hope he recovers from his horrific experience and grows to a big fat adult.

Here is my setup:

10 gallon tank
85F in hot spot
73F on cool side
Coconut shelter w/moist moss
papertowel substrate

Currently feeding: 3 mealworms in the evening, in one of those mealworm dishes.

I will post pics of him tomorrow! Not sure what his morph is. I was told patternless. but I've seen blizzards. I think he may be a blizzard. He is very white with black eyes. Some of the patternless I've seen are more grey and yellow. He doesn't have any yellow on him. He is really cute! I think I'm going to name him Honkie....LOL.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Newly Adopted Leo - John_Yezbak, Thu Mar 4 06:34:53 2010