return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

I think he got off easy

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Burmese Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: brd at Wed Mar 3 19:38:43 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by brd ]  

Here is the artical and I will post a link. There are a couple of pics and a video if you follow the link.

Bradenton, Florida -- Wildlife handler Justin Matthews isn't hiding from his mistakes.

"It was a stupid thing to do, it really was," he told 10 Connects.

This week, he pleaded no contest to charges against him for staging the capture of a 14-foot Burmese python in July. He was arrested in November on charges of misusing the 911 emergency system and threatening the public by mishandling wildlife.

Matthews accepted two years probation and 100 hours of community service on Tuesday.

Photo Gallery: Pictures of Justin Matthews and the python

"I'm never going to step over the line again, do something that was stupid. I tied up a line, there could have been someone having a heart attack or fire or trying to call 911," he said.

10 Connects was among the local media and law enforcement who responded to the Bradenton drainage pipe where Matthews claimed to capture the 14-foot python.

Read: Python caught in drainage pipe a hoax

He later admitted he did it to raise awareness about the dangers pythons pose to the environment and people. The death of a Florida toddler in July spurred the hoax, he said.

"I'm very passionate about what I do. I do the presentations every week, six days a week and I let that passion get me carried away, I stepped over the line," he admitted.

As he continues to give his tours at the wildlife sanctuary he runs in Bradenton, he has no problem admitting what he did was wrong.

"Two wrongs don't make a right," he said.

He's hoping to not only continue his efforts to educate the public about pythons in the right way, but teach another life lesson... when you're wrong, admit it.

http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=126660&provider=rss
Link

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: I think he got off easy - natsamjosh, Wed Mar 3 20:03:38 2010
>> Next Message:  Just another Herp Hack - jscrick, Wed Mar 3 21:03:23 2010
>> Next Message:  Imagine that... - steelersdiehard, Thu Mar 4 14:19:57 2010