return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: NY Times Article Mazzotti and Wyatt

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Burmese Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: WSTREPS at Mon Mar 8 17:44:46 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by WSTREPS ]  

So there are thousands of pythons out there and none of them are eating?

Sure the pythons are eating, and by all indications they are eating in the same manor and feeding on the same types (not species) of prey and in the same amounts as they do in their native ranges. From what has been shown there is absolutely no indication that any sort of hyper predation is taking place.

The population densities are also typical and what you would expect to find if you went hunting for them within their original range under similar conditions. Again nothing indicating that any sort of excess, over population is taking place. There is no indication that they are reproducing at an abnormal rate.

The location might be new but the type of eco system being occupied is a familiar one, typical of where you would find these snakes anywhere else. The most likely scenario is that the snakes will fit in to this new location in the same manor as they do elsewhere. The everglades is not a unique habitat type. Similar animals play similar roles under similar conditions, looking at these examples are in my estimation a much better indicator of what the pythons will do then anything else being pondered.

Ultimately if they continue to fit in( most likely), become a natural part of this new location as they are currently doing, this will not be damaging and detrimental to the environment. An environment that is way past the point of being considered "natural." In time if the planet still exist no one will question the pythons presence.

You have said that I was the most bias person while you were the least bias, well...you might want to reevaluate your position. I look at the snakes for what they are and what they do, how do these animals fit in, my perspective is objective and not guided by some prescribed religious like philosophy. The bi product of a standardized way of thinking that excludes certain realties. I look at these types of issues hard and objectively, I didn't just jump on the Burmese or invasive bandwagon when it became hip.

Usually, when a person resorts to personal attacks it means they have already lost the argument.

Thats an interesting comment. Considering that your buddy's have done nothing but attack me on a personal level, and from a position of presenting things that I never said or implied and other unfounded opinions of my personal views, mostly centered on their dislike for my .......political opinions and poignant assessments, while seldom if ever contesting anything I said about the animals. Hum.......................

ERNIE EISON
WESTWOOD ACRES REPTILE FARM INC.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  KILLER ALIENS! Florida is the front line - Ravenspirit, Mon Mar 8 00:07:18 2010
<< Previous topic:  Un-expected EGG found in Enclosure!!!!!! - MikeSkipRocks, Thu Mar 4 20:38:29 2010