return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Released or Escaped?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Burmese Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Ravenspirit at Wed Mar 10 00:42:39 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Ravenspirit ]  

I have been given some very expensive animals including an older pair of very talkative (but quite aggressive and territorial) import Blue Fronts & a an older import Greenwing Macaw from owners who either inherited them, or no longer wanted to deal them. I will say that in NONE of those cases do I believe that turning the animals loose into the wilds of this state, or any other crossed the folks minds. Of the animals I have been given, several of them were going to do things like post the animal free on craigslist, or turn it over free to the local pet shop though.

I know many people offer an animal for "free" and if you say yes, I'll take it, then they try to get you to pay for it. I wonder if the pied ball python incident was such a thing. I have had many folks ask me to come get an animal over the years, or If I would take it, and then when you meet them, they expect you to pay them something for it.

I really think folks "letting animals go" is a significant minority, at least regarding exotics. I think its slightly more common in the case of turtle owners (I have had people tell me about the sliders they have released when they "got too big" who believe they are "doing the right thing" for the animal, and possibly fish owners. I have taken in a few fish who were going to be illegally added to a local waterway by careless people.

I do know I have spoken with some religious folks (Buddhists, I believe) who HAVE purchased LIVE food market fish & frog& turtles, and then released them into the "wild" because they believe that gains them spiritual favor. I informed them that that is illegal, and not really good for animals or the environment, but I am not sure how much impact it made.

I know folks dump dogs & cats for fear the shelter will just put them down anyway.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Taking Action against Animal Planet - EricWI, Mon Mar 8 22:26:41 2010
<< Previous topic:  albino burms in the wild - amazondoc, Mon Mar 8 13:59:27 2010