return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Released or Escaped?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Burmese Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: amazondoc at Wed Mar 10 01:01:01 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by amazondoc ]  

>>So the Amazons were'nt dumped.

Oh, they were dumped -- we're just using different definitions of the term. That's okay. My point was just to illustrate the fact that people get rid of expensive animals all the time.

>>As far as reasons to let go highend reptiles, well wrong again.
>>If it is HEALTHY and EXPENSIVE and there is a LEGAL market for it there is no reason to dump it.

You just don't get it. People who decide to dump animals don't NEED logical reasons. Sometimes they can't find a good place for the animal to go. Sometimes they just can't be bothered to look.

People call me all the time, wanting me to take dobes off their hands. Right now I don't have any foster space, so I tell them that I'd be happy to help them by looking for a place for the dog to go, and sending the info out to other rescuers. ALL they have to do is send me an email with all the information they know about the dog. And you know what? Hardly ANY of those people can even be bothered to send me that email. They want magic solutions that don't require any actual effort on their part -- and if they can't get the magic solution, off the dog goes to the shelter. Or off to be dumped on the quiet country road, in the case of my current puppy.

It's the same way with a lot of people who decide to get rid of animals of whatever species. They want instant, simple solutions. We are turning into a culture of instant gratification, not of logic and forethought.

>>There is absolutely no comparison between expensive dogs and reptiles. I have both(and cats) and the reasons I have all these animals are vastly different.

The essential comparison here is that people get rid of both.
-----
----

0.1 Peruvian rainbow boa (Amaru)
2.0 Brazilian rainbow boas (Arco, Olho)
0.3 Honduran milksnakes (Chicchan, Chanir, Hari)
1.0 Thayeri kingsnake (Coatl)
2.7 corns (Cetto, Tolosa, Uce, TBA)
1,000,000.1,000,000 other critters

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Released or Escaped? - jscrick, Wed Mar 10 07:50:46 2010
>> Next Message:  RE: Released or Escaped? - Danny Conner, Wed Mar 10 09:09:55 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: Released or Escaped? - Danny Conner, Wed Mar 10 00:42:06 2010