return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: there are boas...AND ISSUES

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Burmese Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: TOM_CRUTCHFIELD at Thu Mar 11 06:16:34 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by TOM_CRUTCHFIELD ]  

I've been told personally that the reason is that the bloodlines are so well represented that production of more is not favorable to the long term survival of the species. Secondly regarding the Fiji Iguana's all of them including progeny technically still belong to Fiji and must never be traded, placed on loan, sold, etc where anyone else actually would retain ownership of the lizards. Any institution receiving Fiji's must agree to the ZOO'S terms before a loan is made. I believe the KOMODO DRAGON reasons are because all bloodlines here are heavily represented and there has been several discussions on the immediate destruction of viable eggs as soon as they're laid by several institutions. I personally discussed the Fiji Isle Iguana issues while sitting in the General Curator's office along with Tom Schultz, then the Curator of Reptiles. At the time I was purchasing all the excess Galapogus Tortoises both adults and juveniles from the Zoo. I think if they intend to destroy eggs or babies they shouldn't breed them in the first place. At the time I had CBW'S for all reptiles listed as Boidae, Iguanadae, etc not a specific one as they now issue. This is NOTHING NEW and has been going on for years. There is a book at the publisher now spelling out in detail some of these unbelievable policies and about myself and a few others that were involved with ZOO'S REGARDING THE AQUISITION OF REPTILES FOR THEIR COLLECTIONS. I believe it is illegal under the Endangered Species Act to carry out these policies as it requires intentional destruction of these Appendix 1 herps. There are some individuals in the private sector that have the knowledge, space, and facilities to take these unwanted progeny but that is a cardinal NO NO and I was told it wouldn't happen. Personally I believe it's similar to the Radiated Tortoise situation. Once the private sector received them the price on them has dropped because now radiata are very common. The ZOO'S do not want Fiji's, Komodo's or similar high profile herps to be in private hands because shortly they would be common as well. I am only RELATING personal knowledge as well as published articles about the Komodo's. I think it's terrible that this has went on in the past and likely still is happening....
-----
Tom Crutchfield
www.tomcrutchfield.com

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Taking Action against Animal Planet - EricWI, Mon Mar 8 22:26:41 2010
<< Previous topic:  albino burms in the wild - amazondoc, Mon Mar 8 13:59:27 2010