return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Matt D

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Crocodilians ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Matt-D at Sun Mar 14 22:52:18 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Matt-D ]  

Hey Archie.. Forgive me if I forget to answer any of your questions from the last couple of posts, I'll do my best to remember as I type.. I started out with a pair of Florida red bellied turtles in with the female trig, long before I got the male and they've always been fine together. There are now about 8 turtles living in their pond (with most of them being drop-off red eared sliders). Most of the turtles have marks on their shells from where the caimans have tried biting them but no injuries have ever been sustained. I have seen lots of pictures of different species of turtles living with crocodilians, and have seen red foot tortoises kept with some large yacare caimans as well. I think it depends on a lot of factors whether they'll get along or not.. I wouldn't trust keeping bottom dwelling turtles like muds/musks in with crocodilians because their heads become too exposed when coming up for a breath. I'm sure the croc in questions personality has a role to play, plus enclosure, etc..

As for putting the caimans outside, I would like to one day, but I live in Ontario, Canada where the summers are short and the winters are loooong and cold. I don't know that keeping them outdoors for 4 months of the year would be very beneficial in stimulating them to reproduce or not. Part of the problem of why they havent bred in the past as well is that they haven't lived in a suitable enclosure for long enough to really settle in, until now.. They've been living in this enclosure for 2 years so I'm crossing my fingers that after doing what I mentioned before, I'll see some breeding activity from them. I can't wait until the day they've both reached their maximum size. I have a friend up here that has an adult male that is just under 6 feet and he is absolutely incredible.

I have a bunch of different, older pictures of the female trig, and not too many of the male. He's always been pretty shy and never seems to be out when I have my camera around. He does tong feed though and was out in the open a lot more than he's been last summer. The female is very accustomed to me and is an aggressive tong feeder. I know what you mean about their teeth being long, and thankfully not experienced them "first hand" so to speak..

Matt

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Young Gator Always Hungry - HotRodRoss, Mon Mar 15 08:26:53 2010
<< Previous topic:  Help making tank safe please - Gatorsnuggles, Thu Mar 4 08:23:51 2010