return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
$50 banner pool - click here

blood in stool question

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Reticulated Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: tatoo at Thu Mar 11 20:29:50 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by tatoo ]  

blood in stool question

So, i have really had a very troubly free start to keeping my new retic (a 2009 baby bought at last year's NARBC). She's had a great attitude and an even better appetite so far. aside from persistent but mild flaking during sheds all has been well. So, I've been training my roommate in snake care as I've gone along and after ~5 months i figured I could leave him in charge while I left town for a week with one simple request, feed her the last 3 frozen medium rats to her 2 days after I'm gone.
well, when I arrived back (this is about2 weeks ago) i came to find out that she had been fed the first 3 LARGE rats i had bought to start her on after the meds.. 3 of these would have been waaaay more meat than i'd normally feed her at one time and by the size of them she had to be absolutely engorged (possibly dangerously?). Then i found out that the 4 days after feeding she escaped from her cage (never happened to me so i have no clue other than to not leave town again) and was found the next morning in the cabinet under the sink (again, aint ever splitting town again).
After that all seemed pretty much ok. She has had one meal since then, 2 large rats and was seeming to do well. then last week i noticed some lethargy but it wasn't really enough to worry me... until she started refusing food. she shed over the weekend through Monday and the lethargy remained. today I went to feed her and she refused again. later I went to change to night lights and noticed a streak of blood from her tail and found it to be bloody stools.
I know this generally means parasites and have scheduled an appointment the day after tomorrow. I was just wondering if this could be something else related to either an excessively large meal or something to do with her getting out rather than parasites?
I've owned tons of reptiles from burms to geckos to corn and kingsnakes... luckily none of them ever showed these symptoms or was diagnosed with parasites. i guess it was bound to happen eventually So, I'm inexperienced hear, what should i do while waiting to get into the vet? Are these usually treatable with a good success rate? i really am worried n want to do everything i can to improve her prognosis. please help

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: blood in stool question - krigz23, Sun Mar 14 16:37:01 2010