return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Crotaphytus Insularis or insularis bic.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Collared Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: NDokai at Sun Mar 14 11:21:18 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by NDokai ]  

Hi,
It is most likely a C. bicinctores. The true insularis, are only found on Angel island in the sea of Cortez. A special permit is needed to collect them. I have never heard of them making it into any private collections.
C. bicinctores used to be classified as C. insularis bicinctores, but they are now considered a seperate species, not subspecies. The true insularis, look a lot like a baja collared C. vestigium), but without the white cross bars on the body.

Also, the C. colaris (baleyi) is a formerly recognised sub species of colaris. A lot of people still refer to the types of collaris by their former subspecies name. To me, a "classic" male baleyi has a blue-green body, yellow front feet, yellow on the top of the head, with the rest of the head whitish, yellow cross bars on the body, and a blue throat. The main thing that separates them from a yellow head, is the white pigment between the collars, and the lack of a full yellow head.
The Eastern collareds (C. c. collaris) are much more variable in appearance.
I, personally believe in keeping groups seperated by locale, since their taxonomy is always subject to change. I also like to use their former subspecies names to describe the type of collaris in question.
What country are you in?
You could check out Will Wells' site for some good info, and great pictures. http://www.desertreptiles.net/

I hope this helps.
Take Care.
Nick

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Crotaphytus Insularis or insularis b - caro2006, Sun Mar 14 12:07:51 2010

<< Previous Message:  Crotaphytus Insularis or insularis bic. - caro2006, Sun Mar 14 10:44:52 2010