return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Need help with rescued Iguana..

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Iguanas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ntprfctjst4gvn at Sun Mar 14 15:04:00 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ntprfctjst4gvn ]  

Alittle background on my iguana.. best we can tell he's atleast 2 years old. We are his 6th home.. we've had him about a year.. He is in a 4 ft by 4 ft glass enclosure with all appropriate lighting.. a water pool to swim in.. and is fed a totally varying iguana diet complete with vitamin dust and mostly greens but lots of other veggies and fruits to keep him equally balanced.He gets picky and will refuse to eat if you dont change the things he's offered daily.. oh and he's always hated me! My husband and even my kids could pet him.. long as they dont pick him up.. until recently but he's always hated me. He is around 4 ft long and strong strong! HIs previous owners were all teen boys who fed him lettuce only and kept him in an enclosure that was hard to turn around in not alot of handling at all. If anything else you need to know please let me know ok!

Now .. up until about a month ago my husband and kids could pet him and I could feed him. He's never liked to be picked up, and he's grown ALOT since we got him. He's moved from a small reptile tank to this much bigger enclosure when we first got him. we are right now looking into building a big huge indoor/outdoor enclosure to give him more room, space, and real sunlight.. but funds are a tad limited so we will see how fast that comes to pass....

On to the problem part.. he's become VERY aggressive! I mean not just toward me but toward everyone.. so bad we can barely feed him without him lunging for our hands. In the new enclosure we are going to figure out a way to close off the top half so we can properly clean his cage and feed him without fearing for our fingers/arms etc.. today he started slapping the sides of his glass enclosure with his tail! Im scared he will bust it and get loose and then well.. I have no CLUE what would happen.. I don't want to give up on him.. no one would take him..and well after 6 homes I just hate to give up on him.. there has to be some way to work around this.. I just dont even know how to safely start.. I'm looking for any and all suggestions! Thanks in advance!!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Need help with rescued Iguana.. - MaureenCarpenter, Wed Mar 17 14:39:47 2010