return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

I too follow what happens in nature....

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Venomous Reptiles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Rich G.cascabel at Sat Mar 20 13:19:39 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Rich G.cascabel ]  

I have basically two stategies for newborn rattlesnakes. The first one I leaned many years back with captive bred Blacktail rattlesnakes. My first brood was a bear to get going. One male ate lizards right away. The others just flat refused food for six months and then finally started o lizards. I did one force feeding in between. I knew female rattlesnakes usually guard their offspring thru the first week till they shed, so I left the babies with mom for that period and then removed them as I was afraid that if I fed her with them in the cage she might strike at one of the babies in a feeding responce.

I later learne that Greene and Hardy in their study on molossus were coming to the conclusion that although not in direct contact, baby molossus were often in the vicinity of their parents for up to a whole year, coming in and out of direct contact. They also thought the babies could be learning hunting strategies and imprinting on food items by tongue flicking the parents snakes muzzle after feeding. This happened to coincide with several observations I had made of finding baby cerbs and abyssus with their mothers well into the Spring, six months after birth. With subsequent broods of molossus and other rattlesnakes I started leaving the babies in with the mother for two months, feeding the mother the whole time. One month after birth I would remove the babies to individual containers and offer fuzzy mice. Food has never been refused by the molossus babies. 99% of the other species I have bred accept fuzzies right away also. I then put the babies back with mom after feeding.

With the few babies that don't accept mice after this strategy, I simply put them into a four month hibernation along with the rest of the collection. I started thislong ago with mountain kingsnakes. For me the babies always eat in spring when they come out of hibernation. Baby snakes have almost no metabolism until they eat their first meal which then kicks it in. People are just aggravating the problem when they panic and force feed as they then kickstart the metabolism. Just learning what happens innature and following that has always stood me well.

Rich

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: I too follow what happens in nature.... - lep1pic1, Sun Mar 21 00:42:06 2010

<< Previous Message:  Western Diamond Back Juvi not eating - dekaybrown, Tue Mar 16 10:58:41 2010