return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: "temperature sexed"- how reliable

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: zovick at Thu Mar 25 06:58:07 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by zovick ]  

This statement from you describes the point I was making in this thread. Assuming that it is definitely a male, one would ask the following questions: Did you incubate the male tortoise yourself and what temp was used? If not, do you know the breeder of your tortoise quite well? Do you believe it was really incubated at a high temperature? And if so, do you think the breeder knows what temp to use to produce females in Hermann's Tortoises? Did any others from that same incubation turn out to be females?

I would ask these things because in my experience, tortoises incubated at the higher limits of the temps which produce females are more likely to have extra or split scutes, resulting in a higher than normal number of scutes rather than the too few scutes that you mentioned. The case you are describing (if I understand it correctly) indicates that two of the scutes are fused together into one larger one rather than an extra one forming, or a normal scute splitting into two smaller triangular ones, or even a small additional scute appearing where there would normally be a seam.

Without knowing what temperature was actually used for the incubation, I would say it was too low to produce females (or extra scutes) and/or TSD doesn't work well in Hermann's Tortoises.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  "temperature sexed"/split scutes - juswanderin, Thu Mar 25 08:40:18 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: "temperature sexed"- how reliable - DaviDC., Wed Mar 24 22:03:52 2010