return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

AGGRESSION

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Uromastyx ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: gmartinez at Sun Mar 21 18:28:26 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by gmartinez ]  

I recently took in a pair of adult Mali Uros (male & female) who, to the best of my knowledge, got along fine. Keep in mind that I was also told that they are basically too lazy to reproduce. My friend was not able to bring them up north so he also gave me an old aquarium (4ft x 1ft x 20in) and stand. This tank is much bigger than the one they were sharing so I have added a stronger basking light (150W) and attached a large heating pad to the underside (below their hide).
Unfortunately, I live in an 80 year old house with poorly insulated wood floors so the lizards spent most of the time curled up in their hide (utilizing the heating pad). I would occasionally see her basking, but the female rarely ventured out as much as the male. He is obviously the dominant one but always seemed more oblivious than aggressive.
Now that it is warming up, he has taken to biting her neck skin and anterior body. I know that this is mating behavior (possibly brought on by the cold snap?) but she seems entirely unwilling. The other day he was pulling her back into their hide by her tale as she struggled to evade him. It is beginning to look more painful than annoying but I can't say that for sure because this is my first experience with lizards. They still sleep in the same hide at night, however, I lifted it up yesterday and he grabbed her neck as if to keep her from leaving. Needless to say I am greatly concerned about the female's stress level and nutritional uptake.
I am sorry for including so many details but I have searched the web for a while now and have yet to find the answers to some of the following questions (ANY and all help is greatly appreciated)...
Can I separate them/divide the tank?
Do uros have a mating season?
If so, can they be reintroduced after the season ends?
Should I just let the biting behavior persist?
Tank you for your time and advice.
Gabe

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: AGGRESSION - el_toro, Sun Mar 21 20:21:56 2010