return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: 9 out of 10 tracked pythons died

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Burmese Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Upscale at Wed Mar 24 08:59:11 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Upscale ]  

They didn’t say if the one that survived happened to be in a cage in the lab at the time, either. Has anyone heard of any python hunters being able to go out and spot or capture (not always the same thing) more than a couple of pythons at a time? We are lead to believe from this report that their own guys have found 99 in just a few weeks, of which “nearly sixty percent” whatever that means, exactly, were still alive. I know finding the stinky rotting ones is fairly easy, but finding live ones is still not. I’m not sure I believe they have found that many live ones. How many field ops do they have doing this? We are supposed to believe two or three guys have found 99? I know one organized hunt before the cold weather, on land suspected of being ground zero for African rocks, turned up nothing. I wonder why they are not able to take a reporter out and find one? It seems to me the “facts” are in and the push for legislation is full steam ahead despite the science that more or less proves this is a Florida problem and not a federal case. These snakes are basically feeding on things that fox and bob cats used to eat. Since those native predators have been driven further into the most remote wilderness areas, aren’t the pythons actually having net zero effect on native populations of rats opossums, raccoons and wading birds? Aren’t the python eggs and juveniles actually providing more food for remaining native wildlife than fox and bob cats did when they occupied this niche? I don’t get the argument that they are harmful to native wild life. Except maybe native rats.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: 9 out of 10 tracked pythons died - Mike_Rochford, Wed Mar 24 09:28:58 2010
>> Next Message:  certainly possible... - jscrick, Wed Mar 24 09:52:03 2010
>> Next Message:  RE: show me the bodies - Calparsoni, Wed Mar 24 10:44:03 2010
>> Next Message:  RE: 9 out of 10 tracked pythons died - Upscale, Wed Mar 24 16:56:56 2010

<< Previous Message:  9 out of 10 tracked pythons died - Upscale, Tue Mar 23 21:08:38 2010