return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Wild Cought Coachwhip tips...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Racers & Coachwhips ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: jodscovry at Fri Mar 26 09:36:56 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by jodscovry ]  

I have developed a few strategies for acclamation, first thing you have to do is get bit a few times, this shows that biting is an insufficent deturant, this usually happens the first day, then leave it alone for weeks till it goes into shed, then when it is ready to come out of shed, take it out and put it on the floor and assist it by misting with water and gently helping it rool off it's shed, it will fuss at first but keep trying and be patiant, this seems to tranqulize them and they will usually show a different attitude after this step, then three inch deep aspen bedding, this helps alot, if the snake thinks it can go undergroung it will stress less, a hide box is nessasery as well, also they want to be HOT (110*)in the summer and will eat five AD mice pr/week for five months or so, and if you happen to collect one that won't seem to calm down then do this, take it outside and put it down on the ground in a big open area like my tennis court, and back away 10 feet, slowly, now as the snake looks round to determine which way to escape keep walking in circles around it, as it moves in any direction stay in front of it, the snake will stop and look at you as if its puzzled, but whats happening is its learning that your not chaseing it and your not hurting it and it learns that your the boss and it cant get away, do this several times in it's first year in captivity and be sure to give it a big heat pad and a heat light to bask under, they also like to go outside and be held in the sunlight, remember you cant take ANY snake out of the wild and keep it inside a cage for the rest ot it's life, they get depressed quick, also males HAVE to breed or they will go nuts, and keep in mind even if you comply with all these methods they will still rush into a retreat upon the sight of you entering the snakeroom, but I'm certain this will grant you luck with the coachwhips. I just try to imagine I'm the snake, would I be happy if someone cought me, confined me, but gave me deep bedding and fed me well and let me get laid and took me outside in the sunlight often, then I think I could tolerate captivity... JB

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Wild Cought Coachwhip tips... - KevColubrid, Fri Mar 26 22:55:21 2010