return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Rat pups dieing

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Feeder Food Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHLdyPayne at Wed Apr 7 13:05:54 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHLdyPayne ]  

The 4 week pups dont' look all that healthy either, rather small compared to the 4 week old pups I have in my colony right now.

Why do you think your colony is parasite free? Do you have them checked by a vet regularly? It would be a good idea to bring those pups to a vet specializing in small mammals and see if there is some sort of virus killing them off or parasites or genetic issue.

It is possible genetics from constant inbreeding coming into play but no way to really tell just from the pictures.

The pine shavings you are using seem very fine compared to pine shavings I have seen (though currently I use aspen shavings) but unless the pine has a really extra strong smell lately I don't think it is causing the problem. I have only heard of cedar and pine causing a shortening of life span, not early pup deaths. Since you rotate your adults every 6 months of breeding and its not the adults who are dying, I don't think the pine has anything to do with it either.

At this point I think spending a little money and taking the rat pups to a vet is your best bet. You certainly don't have to tell him you are breeding the rats as food for snakes, you just can tell him the pups are dying off for no apparent reason (bringing the mom of the pups too may be necessary)
-----
PHLdyPayne

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Rat pups dieing - wlpython, Wed Apr 7 21:14:01 2010
>> Next Message:  RE: Rat pups dieing - wlpython, Sat Apr 10 20:17:22 2010

<< Previous Message:  Rat pups dieing - wlpython, Mon Apr 5 22:25:02 2010 image in post