return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Some NorCal Garters I Found Today

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Garter & Ribbon Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: tspuckler at Thu Apr 8 00:20:16 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by tspuckler ]  

I am on my first vacation of the year, in Northern California. Today I decided to drive up the coast in search of Garter Snakes. It was sunny and about 70 degrees. I started off in the city of Santa Cruz and headed north. Here's what the coast looked like:

I walked along a trail that lead to the ocean. Alongside the trail was a small creek. After walking a bit, I turned around and headed back to by car. As I approached the car, I saw this hunting in the creek:

I was pretty excited, it is the first Coast Garter Snake I've ever seen.

Afterwards I drove further up the coast and found a marshy area to explore that was adjacent to a waterway. It wasn't long before I saw my favorite type of garter, a large female Santa Cruz Garter Snake.

As I was capturing the snake, I saw another Santa Cruz, this one a male (which was probably courting the female). He wasn't too pleased with being caught.

Here's another photo of the male - he had more contrast than the female.

Photographing wild snakes isn't always easy, but I attempted a shot of the "happy couple" before allowing them to go on their way.

After finding the snakes, I took a break to check out the seals (I've never seen Elephant Seals before).

A little while later I went back to a spot about 250 yards from where the Santa Cruz Garters were found. I was walking through the tall vegetation when I saw something that looked like a "flame" morph of Eastern Garter Snake. It was another Coast Garter, this one had a lot of red coloration.

Even its belly was suffused in red-orange.

It was one cool-looking snake.

My final stop was a secluded lake that has a good population of California King Snakes. I didn't see any kings, but did find this young male Santa Cruz Garter under a log.

It was a great day to be out looking for snakes!
Third Eye

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  "different" lookin' eastern - cochran, Thu Apr 8 16:50:31 2010
<< Previous topic:  Garter ID help - red spotted... - mikem, Wed Apr 7 21:41:00 2010