return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: "the chances of the world changing"

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: emysbreeder at Mon Apr 12 09:31:46 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by emysbreeder ]  

I met Richard back in the 90's and then worked with him at the first meeting to creat the Turtle Survival Alliance in 1999. The Forth Worth Zoo hosted a meeting of 200 turtle and tortoise exsperts from around the world to address the "Asian Turtle crises".Only 8 of us were from the private sector,the rest were from Zoos and members of other world wide big time Conservation groups. He was a private sector person like myself. I have to say although his heart was in the right place his personal plan was a mis/un-guided failure from the beginning. He inhaireted money, and lived in a Manhattan highrise.(were the Mt.Tortoises he got from me had a 9 story view of NY from a balcony.) He collected rare and common turtles from the Chinese areas of town that were going to be served up as food. He had more than 1200 turtles their before he was kicked out. He got money from others and went through his and theirs trying to build a reserve. Well the turtles were to much for him to keep they got sick, people lost intrest, he spent all his time and resources fighting city hall and it failed. That was the most depressing show about turtles I've ever seen and it reflected very badly on the herp community. I dont recomend anyone watching it,it was poorly produced and kreepy. Sorry for the harshness, but it is only a documentation of how a pure emotional concept of animal saviorism will fail. I dont know what he is doing now but I wish him well. Vic M

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  2 wks after Cal. Soaks -Redfoot UPDATE! - amazoa, Tue Apr 13 09:56:41 2010
<< Previous topic:  Sulcata Tortoise - DiNew, Fri Apr 9 01:00:47 2010