return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Encouraging garters on my property

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Garter & Ribbon Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: celticvamp at Sun Apr 25 01:01:15 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by celticvamp ]  

A few things I'm surprised wasn't mentioned yet... One they will need a suitable place for hibernating. If there isn't already a place you can be fairly sure of. In texas where you say you live it don't have to be quite as involved as it would have to be in the far north. I know in the north you'd actually need to dig a hole semi deep and fill it with large rocks. Large enough to leave crevices and small caverns to get down into the earth where it stays warm. Use your own judgement or someone else may can give you better advice just how much protection they will need in the winter where you live. Second most important issue you may have is to be sure there aren't a lot of invasive predation. The two very worse are going to be fire ants for one. They kill a lot more baby reptiles and amphibians than a lot of people realize. And the worse you can have would be a cat outdoors. An outdoor cat can rent havoc on your immediate ecosystem. If you think about what they do all day long is hunt. They will not only kill the snakes themselves but they will kill the snakes food supply. A cat will kill anything that moves. I seen a special on animal plannet about the top ten killers. And the house cat ended up number 1. They kill purely for fun and entertainment. And they estimated a cat that lives it's entire life outdoors can kill up to 300,000 living creatures within it's lifetime. I promise you will not have gartersnakes in your yard if you have a cat. Good luck. I hope your pond works out well for you.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  My only Garter! - a153fish, Mon Apr 19 14:19:25 2010
<< Previous topic:  Maritime Garters - Tyrel26, Sat Apr 17 16:42:13 2010