return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: new member, new Chuckwalla Is she gravid

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Chuckwallas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: mart20 at Sun Apr 25 14:05:36 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by mart20 ]  

Hi, Thanks very much for the info, thats fantastic. Yeah they are lovely arn't they, thats why I want to start breeding them to make them more available to people as wild caughts of most if not all species arn't as good as captive bred. However both of mine are wild caught, but that is the trikey situation as even wild caught are quite rare over here and captive bred are as elusive as the Loch Ness Monster lol. I think what I might do is keep one of the babies back if all goes well, and grow it on in the nursery viv and then move it in with the parents next time I get some babies and then eventually I'll have to buy another chuck to pair with that one and then at least I'll have one captive bred of my own as more of a pet as well as a breeding animal, as these 2 are a bit nervous of me, but I puposefully put there viv on the floor so every now and then I can board all holes up in my room and let them out and come to me if they want to and offer them food and hopefully them will start to trust me. Any how (sorry for rambling on lol),I didn't realise I would have to remove the male whilst she's getting ready to lay, is that an ABSOLUTE MUST? is it highly likely she will retain her eggs if I don't? if it is a big NO NO to leave him in I can get round it as I have been thinking about selling my ackie monitor in order to get an egyptian uromastyx as I'm getting in to these veggie lizards lol, so I could perhaps sell him and hold off with the uro and put trevor in his viv temperarilly. I do have the wood to build 2 more vivs like the one in the pictures so I'll have to pull my finger out and get building again lol. Just one last thing, I have had her for 2 weeks this tuesday, and she started showing more and more since I got her, so could you please give me an idea as to the time scale as to when she should lay them? when should I be getting worried if she hasn't laid? I'll get a nest box set up, and I'll have to post some pics of my incubator I set up, as I could use some advice on some things for it. Sorry for such a long post, I'm just starting to get nervous now as I don't want her to become egg bound. Thanks a million for your advice I really appreciate it.
Martin

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: new member, new Chuckwalla Is she gravid - mart20, Sun Apr 25 14:27:31 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: new member, new Chuckwalla Is she gravid - MaureenCarpenter, Sun Apr 25 13:24:37 2010