return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Hemipenis severe bleeding and blood loss

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Iguanas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: wildheartforest at Mon Apr 26 08:38:37 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by wildheartforest ]  

Forest is now in his second breeding season that started on the 8 of March and he is 2 years 4 months.

This boy does not only leave white marks everywhere but actually mates with his teddy and towel. Last week wednesday I found him full of blood when I got home. I bathed him and did not find any wounds but found my bed and his teddy full of blood. Thursday when we got home his towel, my carpet and he were full of blood again. Friday the same. I am talking about A LOT of blood! (Will take a photo tonight and post it.)

I took him to his vet on Friday, he was totally shocked about the amount of blood. He took earbuds and inserted into his vent but all of them came out clean. Luckily the bleeding stops every time that he retracts his hemipenis. Forest is completely pale inside his mouth which indicates that he did loose lots of blood. According to the vet his hemipenis is EXTREMELY big, but forest is big for his age.

Only advice the vet gave me was to spray supplements = iron, magnesium into his mouth. To leave all the toys otherwise he will just find something else to mate with and to take photos. There are no such supplements for iguanas, there is only calcium and more calcium available.

I wasnt happy with his advice so I went to another vet who said that I must take forest out of his room and keep him in a bathroom with nothing so he can stop mating.

I am not happy with this advice either because it is bad enough that forest only eats 1-5 bites of food since the beginning of March and by putting him in a bathroom will only result in stress and no food intake.

I also phoned Onderstepoort where all SA vets right there final exams and nobody had a solution either, they can only help with a prolapse.

Forest needs to eat, he needs to be at the ultimate humidity and heat so that he can heal himself by absorbing all the nutrition that he stored before the breeding started. Correct? I am not talking about healing his hemipenis, I am talking about replacing the blood loss.

So what I've done this weekend was I took ALL toys away and I covered his tree stumps with bright colour duvets so that he cannot scrape himself if he maybe decides to mate with it. I also increased the humidity and the heat. He IS NOT HAPPY - jungle, his soft green toy means the world to him! He was aggressive this weekend BUT he stayed on his pillow under the increased heat and he ate at least a cup of food.

He was still pale inside his mouth last night and his eyes also look pale but he is very alert. I saw his hemipenis this morning, also a pale colour and it is definitely the left one that is hurt because the the line that he left was red on the one side and white on the other.

Do you think I can crush a little bit of human iron pills and spray that in his mouth? It is better than nothing right?

Any other advice? I know what to do when he has a prolapse but that is not the problem.

I hope I find nothing when I get home!

(Both the vets have not seen anything like this before plus I've been surging the web since Thursday and I cant find anything so severe.)

My boy means more than the world to me and I will stop at nothing to make him super healthy again. Please help me think of solutions.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Hemipenis severe bleeding and blood loss - colaris, Tue Apr 27 17:00:33 2010