return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Blood python, good educational animal?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Blood Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: falcion at Thu May 6 20:48:55 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by falcion ]  

Thank you Rich! You've confirmed much of what I'd expected. I always love to hear what other people do as far as animal outreach goes.

I've wanted to have a Blood to show off just how different snakes can be. People tend to be blind to the wild morphological differences between snake species, as they're all limbless. I thought showing people a strict ground-based snake would be a nice contrast to the multipurpose mostly-arboreal body plan that my boa displays. I definitely never expected to keep a blood on my shoulders. They really need their weight supported to avoid spinal damage. Also, showing people that snakes can be vulnerable, and that these ones must be cradled like infants might work nicely to give them a bit of anthropomorphizing sympathy.

I've done some docent work with a local zoo and as a professional educator out of a butterfly house, so I'm familiar with safety and sanitary procedures, the hand sanitizer and paper towels are always in my bag of tricks. I generally have a policy of only displaying one animal at a time rule so my animals get just a short display period. As far as letting people touch animals, I never let them get near my snakes' heads, and give children a 2-finger rule, letting them stroke the snake's back on its lowest 1/3 with their index and middle finger while I maintain full control over the animal's head. So far, this has worked very well to prevent grabbing.

That photo is just adorable! I find the blood python body shape to be just charming. It always reminds me of a Japanese mythical creature, the tsuchinoko, a short, fat-bodied snake with a triangular head, that when captured grants a wish or confers good luck. I'm absolutely decided that I will have to get one of these lovable 'slugs' at very least to be my own lap-snake.

Now I just need to figure out who I'm going to get my snake from and if I should wait for this season's hatchlings to be ready versus getting one that's a few months old.

Thank you!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Blood python, good educational animal? - Rich Crowley, Thu May 6 13:30:17 2010