return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: venomous snakes

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Venomous Reptiles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: cobrafan at Thu May 20 09:51:58 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by cobrafan ]  

Chrisian,
I support anybody who is willing to learn more about venomous reptiles. If you are wanting to do venom extractions for fun, or pure enjoyment, I wonder if you mean just discarding the venom wastefully or attempting to conduct any kind of independent biologic studies.If it is the former, don't do it. If the reason is the latter, then learn all you can from those who whave been in this practice(again not to discourage your learning but I don't know who would be willing to mentor such a risky endeavor) and learn by trial and error. Now, I agree with the statement that to conduct actual venom studies you have to be an MD working with a known laboratory. As far as extractions and supplying various freeze dried sterile venoms to established research facilities, this can be done. I'm not saying that it can be done overnight before I get flamed here, but all of the big names currently doing venom extractions all got their start somewhere and have primarily learned from their own experience.There are procedures to follow however, and yes it will take thousands of dollars,100s of animals,and many,many years to build your reputation. And...you will get bit. Everybody who does extractions does. I don't agree with the statement that there is not a need for more venom for antivenom production,etc. Case in point: Almost out of Coral Snake Antivenom from Wyeth! I know that there are foreign manufacturer's of S. American Coral Snake Antivenom, but still...
Drew.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: venomous snakes - SnakesAndStuff, Thu May 20 10:57:29 2010

<< Previous Message:  venomous snakes - trench, Tue May 18 09:06:04 2010