return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Pissy Burm

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Burmese Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: HappyHillbilly at Sat May 22 14:19:57 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by HappyHillbilly ]  

"...are all baby burms mean when babies"

"...im thinking its because shes still a little smaller and that i just need to give it time..."

"...im more of a monitor person ..."

From a snake person that understands & keeps monitors, too, "monitor-taming (not a good choice of words)" rules do not apply to snakes in general. Especially not Burms. Burmese Pythons are also referred to as "Gentle Giants". There's not a specific timeframe that Burmese Pythons will be aggressive/defensive within. It's very possible to have one pretty much calmed down at two - three days old.

Out of several clutches over the last few years, my personal experience has been pretty much as follows:
Fresh out of the egg, about 95% of Burmese Pythons are striking machines. With just a few minutes of handling, a couple of times per week, about 90 - 95% of them cease striking.

They'll all hiss at one time or another, but mostly it's not a defensive hiss. Burms will hiss when they're unsure of their surroundings. It doesn't always mean that they're about to strike. In fact, most strikes come without a hiss (warning). There's a noticeable difference between a "I'm not too sure about this" hiss and a "I do NOT like this".

Anyway, once in awhile a known-docile snake's disposition changes from one owner to the next. I sold a hatchling a few years ago that had never struck at me within the 3 - 4 months that I had it. A few weeks later the new owner asked for taming tips because it was striking left & right. The problem was within its setup (temps, sense of security, etc...).

Typically, it can take a few weeks for a new animal to adjust to its new environment. You're well past that two weeks and the behavior you're describing isn't typical Burmese Python behavior. Keep searching, checking the temps, etc... You'll get it figured out. And let us know when you do, and what you did. You never know how it may help someone else later down the road.

Hang in there!
HH
-----
Due to political correctness run amuck,
this ol' hillbilly is now referred to as an:
Appalachian American

www.natures-signature.com

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Pissy Burm - coreyg, Sat May 22 10:20:14 2010