return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Balls off food-- wondering when to worry

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Herp Health & Breeding ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: odin22 at Mon May 24 06:12:59 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by odin22 ]  

Greetings

I just wanted to check in about my two ball pythons who aren't eating as to when I should start worrying and what would be a good strategy to start them back on food again. I know it's typical, and I've had these snakes most of their lives...but I still worry.

Hopey is a 5 year old female (wow--already?) 3-4 feet est. and in good muscle tone. Skin fine, reactions fine. No external signs of anything wrong. Was eating medium rats--her last was December 1. She shed 12/15 and 4/19. There have been some urates, but no real , though it's harder to tell on the Jungle Mix/EcoEarth bedding I have her on. Room temp is kept 79-82 degrees, and she has a basking area. Admittedly, humidity may be an issue. Sometimes when I tap on the glass and make scurry noises,she reacts, but not enough to show she's really hungry.

Izzy is a 17 year old male, 4 feet est., and has historically been a bit of a fat bastard. Also in good muscle tone. Skin tone and reactions fine. In his last several sheds, he's had problems around his vent and there have been small amounts of bleeding. I put him on the Jungle Mix/ EcoEarth bedding to help with humidity,but I'm still probably not getting the balance right. He gets a pink belly when I get it too damp,so I err on keeping it dry. Same room temp, also has basking area. He also has not been too responsive to tapping on the glass. He was eating large and med (alternating) rats, last was October 4. He shed 1/17 and 5/10. There were urates in Jan, March and on May

Both snakes went mostly off their food last year at least Jan- March, but I was hoping to have fed them this month.

How many more months should I let them go before I take them to the vet for a check up? What would be my best strategy to encourage eating-- is it worth getting a small live rat? Should it be stunned or allowed to run around for a bit(supervised)?

Sorry for the lengthy post--- just wanted to give a close to complete picture.
Thank you for your time, and I appreciate any input.

Antigone

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Hey Ian... - odin22, Mon May 24 18:50:29 2010
<< Previous topic:  Question on natural Oxytocin. - emysbreeder, Sat May 22 22:41:11 2010