return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Our Hatchling Died

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Box Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: boxienuts at Mon May 24 22:35:21 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by boxienuts ]  

Sorry for your loss. All you can do is make sure if there were any issues with the set-up that they are corrected and try again. Sometimes babies die suddenly and inexplicably, reptiles or any animal for that matter. I was wondering what kind of heat pad, what kind of UV bulb and wattage and how far away from the substrate it is and how deep the substrate is. It might be better to have one or the other (heat pad under tank or light bulb heat source above) because that way the hatchling can regulate based on the depth it burrows, but getting heat from both directions above and below could be confusing to know which way to go up or down to get away from the heat. If the substrate is deep and moist it would have more forgiveness and insulation. A heat gun was the best money I ever spent for reptile keeping, you can get one for $30 at Pro Exotics and it's worth every penny. You can shoot it on any surface and get an extremely accurate surface temp. and I would shoot for 84-90 tops at the hottest spot in the cage, depending on room temp and/or cool side temp. If the room temp is low 70s hot spot could be more towards 90 but if the room temp is closer to 80 the hot spot would be 84 tops. A small tank like you described might only need a very low wattage bulb, like 25-40 watts depending on the distance from the substrate surface, at most in summer if its towards 80 room temp. Some of the UVB sun bulbs are 100-150 watts and would likely be way overkill for a hatchling, as well as some of the heat pads will run up to 110-120 degrees for desert species. Maybe your set up is fine and something else caused the death and I hope this doesn't sound like a lecture, just trying to help, and I hope your next experience will have a more pleasant long term outcome, like you said they have amazing personality, which is why we all love them so much. Best of luck
-----
Jeff Benfer
gartersnakemorph.com

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Our Hatchling Died - bitsybertha, Mon May 24 23:30:55 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: Our Hatchling Died - terryo, Mon May 24 19:05:13 2010