return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: new to boxies, looking for advice

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Box Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: kensopher at Fri May 28 04:08:31 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by kensopher ]  

I agree, it would be a great idea to build an outdoor cage for him. I have rescued several box turtles with long, dry, brittle nails and beaks. They also usually have terribly dry, flaky skin. Trimming is good, but the real cure is getting them outdoors with natural sunshine and a good diet.

You can use the regular dog and cat clippers for the nails. Just watch for the blood vessel within. It may be a good idea to have one of those coagulant powder products available at the time of trimming. The beak will have to be done with a file or a dremmel tool. In my experience, the speed of the dremmel really cuts down on the stress from being held. You will have to pinch the head behind the skull in order to do this.

I'm still loading my coffee tank, but I didn't see anything relating to enclosure size. Due to the need for the turtle to go between hot/cool, wet/dry conditions, you will want to make sure that he has a good sized enclosure. I've kept other herps, and turtles just need WAY more space. One adult box turtle needs an indoor tortoise table of about 4' X 4'. They can survive in much smaller, but to really thrive, bigger is much better.

Well done. He looks to be in better hands. Good luck with him.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: new to boxies, looking for advice - StephF, Fri May 28 10:47:34 2010
>> Next Message:  RE: new to boxies, looking for advice - soma215, Fri May 28 23:28:14 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: new to boxies, looking for advice - jack, Thu May 27 19:13:53 2010 image in post