return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Obese pac man help

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Pacman,Horn,Budgett Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: MsPony at Tue Jun 1 00:03:43 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by MsPony ]  

Was posted in a tarantula site/forum, but was posting here too =)

I recently acquired a pac man frog, my coworkers moms coworker (teacher) wanted to get rid of hers, and im a sucker and always take unwanted animals. I was told this frog was in yuck conditions, but nothing ever TRULY prepares you.

He is 4 years old, in a long and low, except TINY kritter keeper, with a water dish the size of his mouth. I immediately did some tank swapping and threw him in a 10 gallon with a bowl (I didnt have a spare water dish) and threw him in that dish. He just sat there and soaked it up, and is happily burrowed in his substrate now.

Now, he is SEVERELY obese, he was being fed ONE PINKIE A WEEK!! On top of crickets. I know they are "big" frogs, but this dude has fat rolls and lumps spilling over his limbs and can barely move. Thats unhealthy and uncomfortable I am sure. So since he gets a major diet, what do I feed him? I mean I cant just starve him, should I feed him just enough crickets to keep up his vitamins and his stomach happy? Like, 6 large crickets twice a week dipped in a multi vit? I use Exo Terra multi vits, but at work we also have that sticky tongues stuff.

Also, does her prefer a DEEP substrate? Hide caves? What size terrarium should he go into eventually?

Just a PS, a small portion of the keeper he came in was partioned off and had sea shells in it, which we thought was for "pretty"? No. It housed a scorpion. Yes, a scorpion, on sea shells from the beach. Needless to say, it died. Oh, did I mention she was a TEACHER?!

I put in 6 crickets today and he hasnt touched them. Is he telling me, hey im fat and know I shouldnt eat?! Now im all worried hes going to starve, but I am also a mammal person so I dont know how it works in amphibians. Or any reptile.
-----
I grew up with jeff Corwins tv show, my fondest childhood memories are not playing with other children, but sticking easter eggs down holes trying to catch a cobra!

"A rattlesnake that doesn't bite teaches you nothing."
- Jessamyn West

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  why is petsmart the cheapest pacman frog - biggerthnu43, Thu Jun 24 19:36:37 2010
<< Previous topic:  Pacman Frog - BPfanatic, Mon May 31 20:24:08 2010