return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Weird Swelling In Boa Mouth

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Herp Health & Breeding ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: wRobio at Mon Jun 14 00:38:30 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by wRobio ]  

A friend had me come and look at her boa this evening because he had something wrong with his mouth. I have dealt with many mouth swellings, injuries, and diseases before, but I have never seen anything like this.

The snake has two big pockets of what looked like fluid under a thin layer of skin inside his mouth on the lower jaw. They are squishy and sort of gelatinous feeling. They are so big that I was unable to see into the rest of his mouth easily, and decided to start by draining them. I couldn't get a syringe through the skin inside of his mouth, so went in from the outside. Nothing drained out, and it seemed more like air than fluid. After several draining attempts, still nothing came out.

I opened his mouth and the rest of it looks fine.

The snake had been taken out earlier today and was fine. He had been fed a little while before the swelling was noticed, but he ate his usual meal of a f/t rat. The rat was bred by the owner. Due to the time frame, it seems like the rat may have had something to do with the problem, but I can't imagine what.

My best guess is some sort of allergic reaction.

I instructed the owner to give the snake a bath and put it on paper towels, and see if there is any improvement in the morning.

Any thoughts?

If there is no improvement, and she doesn't take him to the vet tomorrow, I will try to get pictures.
-----
Ball Pythons:
1.2 Normal
1.2 Pastel
0.1 Black Pastel
2.0 Het Orange Ghost
0.1 Orange Ghost
0.2 50% Het Orange ghost
1.3 Mojave
1.2 Spider
1.1 Albino
0.1 Het Albino