return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
$50 banner pool - click here

New Mexico

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Reticulated Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: EricWI at Tue Jun 15 22:28:26 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by EricWI ]  

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, MAY 27, 2010:

DEPARTMENT CONTINUES REVIEW OF ANIMAL IMPORTATION RULE

GALLUP – The State Game Commission will accept public input and conduct additional discussion of changes to the State’s importation rule for non-domestic animals, birds and fish Thursday, June 3, during its regularly scheduled meeting at the University of New Mexico Gallup Campus, 200 College Road. The meeting will be from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. In Calvin Hall Auditorium, Room 248.

The Department has been taking public comments about the existing rule for several years and will continue to do so through the July 8 meeting of the State Game Commission. The Commission is expected to take action on the updated rule at that time.

In an effort to address many of the questions coming from the public, the Department developed the following list:

* Is this a new rule? No. The Department is updating the existing importation rule, which has been in place for 10 years. The associated law has been on the books since the 1960s (17-3-32 NMSA).
* What is the purpose of this rule? To protect public health and safety, and native wildlife, particularly from dangerous animals and diseases borne by non-native wildlife.
* What animals do not need an importation permit? Domestic animals like dogs, cats and livestock. Livestock is regulated by the New Mexico Livestock Board (www.nmlbonline.com).
* Do I have to get an importation permit for animals already in New Mexico? No. The Department is updating the rule for animals being legally imported into the state.
* Is there an animal possession permit? Some protected wild-by-nature species do have possession limits, but most common pet animals do not.
* If I buy an animal from a local pet store do I need an importation permit? No, if the pet store imported the animal, they were responsible for the importation permit. Just keep your receipt.
* Do pet stores need to get a permit for each animal they import into New Mexico? No, pet stores may obtain an annual permit that covers multiple animals.
* If I am given an animal, do I need an importation permit? Not if it’s an animal already in New Mexico.
* Do I need an export permit to leave the State of New Mexico? No.
* Do I need a permit to travel through the state with my animals? No
* Who can apply for a prohibited species in the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (C.I.T.E.S. Group IV) list on your web site? Those animals are typically held by zoos and qualified experts like professional animal handlers.
* How can I suggest changes to the species lists? The agency is taking public comment about this regulation right now at www.wildlife.state.nm.us/.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]