return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

What if....

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Box Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: 9boxies at Mon Jun 21 09:17:39 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by 9boxies ]  

What if my boxie did lay eggs and I choose to leave them just where she laid them? I really am not sure that I could take care of the eggs properly if I dug them up (if there are any). So if I leave the nest alone how do you tend it. By that I mean, other than keep a screen cage around the entire spot, what else needs to be done. You say if you dig up the eggs you have to keep them from drying out. If they are left in the nest itself, won't they dry out? Granted they are in a bed that I usually water, but I am wondering if it is ok to keep watering the way I normally do, or should I somehow block the water from getting to the nest except for a small amount of water. Gosh......I am really up a tree on this.

Although I have had hatchlings in the pen, I never knew they were laid there and since that time the grass has really spread in the pen so the only soil areas are the hides themselves and small areas in spots of the pen. Perhaps I should have left her in the pen instead of letting her out in the yard. Then I would have never known what she did or didn't do! What I really need to do is separate the sexes. I would love to put one or the other out in the yard loose but I have Mr. T who has laid claim to the yard and goes into a tizzy whenever he sees the other boxies wandering around. The only reason he didn't bother my female the other day is because it has been really hot and he has made himself a home underneath one of our sheds and I only see him occassionally lately when he comes out to go get a good soaking and a drink of water and a bite of food if he is lucky enough for me to see him out and about.

Oh well.......sorry this is another long one. Any more ideas? .....9boxies

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: What if.... - PHBoxTurtle, Tue Jun 22 12:43:44 2010