return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: mite solution number nine

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Herp Health & Breeding ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: joeysgreen at Fri Jun 25 09:05:36 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by joeysgreen ]  

Yes mites will easily be drowned, however the snake's head will not be held under water long enough to kill all of the adult mites. Further, this does not kill the eggs and larvae in the enclosure. The soap and water method is excellent at keeping mite numbers to the very minimal, but as you have observed, it does not completely eradicate the problem unless there is a secondary measure used.

As stated, the mice are not a likely vector of the mites; unless of course you are buying them from a smaller producer that breeds them in the same facility as their personal reptile collection (that also has a mite problem).

Permethrins are from the chysamthemum flower (Don't spell check me, I always mess up these ones).
Permethroids are similiar chemicals produced by man.

If your vet recommended the dog/cat spray and showed you what concentrations they want and how to use it, then I'd feel comfortable with you continuing. It is described in the Mader text, albeit not backed by a lot of imperical evidence as these were fairly new products at the time of writing. (to the best of my knowledge; perhaps they're just new to the snake mite scene?)

When in doubt, I see no problem relying on simple products like Provent A Mite. It's not that expensive, has directions on the bottle, and has been used effectively by a large amount of people.

Ian

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: mite solution number nine - GPZO, Fri Jun 25 13:21:01 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: mite solution number nine - GPZO, Wed Jun 23 18:43:59 2010