return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Father's Day! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - June 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - July 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - June 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - July 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - July 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - July 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - July 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

How late in the season

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Chuckwallas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: pamnsam94 at Mon Jun 28 11:18:17 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by pamnsam94 ]  

have chucks been known to breed and develop eggs? I brought my pair out of brumation around April 10th.

In an earlier post "first time pushups", I mentioned how, after having my chucks for almost a year, I never witnessed any pushups until both the male and female did some within minutes of putting them outside. After that day however, the pushups seemed to stop completely, that is until last week. They were only outside for about a week. They've been inside for quite some time now. Last week I witnessed the male gently bite the female's neck and she drug him around for a bit. After that failed attempt, he let go and she took cover under a rock. Since that day, and including today, I have witnessed him doing pushups followed by failed attempts at breeding. Unlike the first time, now, whenever he lets go, the female usually doesn't go into hiding but instead seems to be leading him on. Sometimes I wonder if the male was bigger than her (they're pretty evenly sized except she is wider than him now) if he would be more successful.

If her width is at least partly due to developing eggs, how late can eggs be into development (obviously before calcification) to still be successfully fertilized? Do females have any ability to delay or suspend development? I know that with some lizards, development can be at least partially triggered by the sight of a displaying male. I suppose some of the male's pushups might be for territorial reasons but I think they are part of his courtship ritual because, since last week at least, they are always followed by a breeding attemp. Sorry for the long post but any answers to my questions would be a great help.

Thanks,
Perry

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]