return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Yellow Anacondas. Friend or Foe?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Anacondas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Calparsoni at Tue Jul 6 14:13:55 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Calparsoni ]  

I worked with greens up until a couple of years ago when they became rocs here in fl. I had some that were docile and some that were aggressive but I have yet to find a snake that can compare to an angry water monitor. I have one right now who needs to eat and when I open the cage he will most likely come after me. In fact I have had 3 waters that would make an average nile monitor look downright docile and I owned a nile for 15yrs that was nasty until the day it died.
Obviously the constriction factor of a large green anaconda that could come from a feeding response is something to contend with and should be taken seriously, however I have yet to have any non-venomous snake bite compare to even a relatively minor bite from a monitor or a tegu (or a handful of other large lizards.) it is amazing how when you tell people that lizards are way worse than snakes they just don't believe you. I always find it funny how a lot of us herpers out there have forgotten more about herps in 5 minutes than most people are even capable of learning in 10 lifetimes and yet they are experts because they watched a show on animal planet once.
We are getting to an age where you probably shouldn't tell too many people what you are keeping anyway as it can be used against you later on. As for the people who already know don't worry about their uneducated opinions. If your yellows do end up aggressive later on just learn to accept it as part of dealing with anacondas but if they stay docile for you enjoy it and don't worry about what other people think it really doesn't matter in the end anyway.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Yellow Anacondas. Friend or Foe? - bivittatus, Sat Jul 3 15:39:21 2010