return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Yellow Anacondas. Friend or Foe?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Anacondas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Calparsoni at Wed Jul 7 07:54:07 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Calparsoni ]  

My point was actually that snakes get a bad rap, Lizards are far worse attitude wise. As far as captive bred vs. wild caught for temeperement it holds somewhat true when you compare some captive breds (which are raised from birth) to adult wild caught animals. But the fact is there is very little difference between wild caught hatchlings and captive bred ones as far as temperament goes other than individual personalities of the animals involved.
You are right most waters are wild caught they also come in as hatchlings over the 29 years I have worked with water monitors I managed to get one hatchling that was captive bred (hatched) it almost took of my right thumb once. It's temperament was fine until it wasn't. If have had docile waters and I have had (and still have) some very aggressive water monitors it boils down to the temperament of the individual animal a lot of times. The same holds true for anacondas I have gotten several captive born green hatchlings that were fiesty the first green I ever got however was in the early '90's and was for the most part very docile I got it when it was 7ft and it was most certainly wild caught.
The most aggressive snake I ever owned was a female burmese/ceylonese python cross the was given to me as a 10' adult. It was most certainly captive bred and worse than just about anything I ever owned temperament wise. Not that it bothered me, (I actually liked that snake it was a great garbage disposal it ALWAYS ate ANYTHING) but it was in fact a captive born animal.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Yellow Anacondas. Friend or Foe? - Void, Fri Jul 9 14:56:05 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: Yellow Anacondas. Friend or Foe? - mjf, Tue Jul 6 20:45:08 2010 image in post