return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Mangrove Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Barbour’s Map Turtle . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - June 08, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - June 09, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Anyone read this about Baja herps?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rosy Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: dustyrhoads at Wed Jul 21 10:02:28 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by dustyrhoads ]  

I obviously wasn't clear in the first post and that last. So, let me say it again more clearly: I read that original comment and thought, "Hey, I've seen some literature out there showing that collectors have contributed significantly to nearly extirpating some rare vipers. So, I'll post those." Again, I should have been more clear and not just vaguely said, "I know of some" (some what?). I think providing the papers in the same exact post was proof enough, though, that I wasn't making extraordinary claims, since I was actually encouraging you to go read it. What you took for a bold claim wasn't one (but I can see how you did now). I neither misinterpreted nor misrepresented those papers, Aaron, just miscommunicated. I would argue that any honest biologists miscommunicate before they misinterpret or MUCH worse -- misrepresent data. Please don't even insinuate that the latter was a possibility with me.

>> >>I do think reductions in populations can be significant, it's just that as far as the pet trade ever being the sole, or even primary cause, I think it is a rare occurance.

I agree.

>>Please don't try to portray me as sympathetic to collection that causes serious risks to a species existence because I am not.

Nothing I said regarding the aforementioned was aimed at you. It was a general comment about the mindset of many collectors. Of course, there are a lot of collectors out there who don't think that way. It's often hard to interpret the "tone" from an on-line post and offense is too-often taken where it shouldn't be. And I'm just as guilty of that, if not more.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Housing two Rosy Boas -- Help - CharlotteWR, Sun Jul 11 02:23:16 2010
<< Previous topic:  Rosy breeding without brumation - BrianS., Mon May 31 13:11:23 2010