return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Anyone read this about Baja herps?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rosy Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: dustyrhoads at Fri Jul 2 23:27:00 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by dustyrhoads ]  

>>Whatever was done multi-captive-bred-generations ago is water under the bridge. End result: who here hears of anyone buying WC bearded dragons, or going to Australia to collect their own? It's a lot cheaper and easier to buy one for ten bucks, or get one given to you for free.
>>
>>Incidentally, the same can be said for what was formerly "forbidden fruit" here in the US, like alterna.

All appreciated comments from everyone!

Chris, those are good points too. But what about the Petrosaurus that you can still get by driving a few hours south of the border? Or some of the Mexican Crotaphytus that I know for certain have been collected recently? It really is abominable, IMO, to take so many of the wild-caught Petrosaurus, for example, as Grismer mentioned (1000 taken by one dealer!!).

I'm obviously not against take from the wild (since I breed snakes that descended from wild-caught stock), but I am against several different kinds of take. To list a few: commercial collection, taking subadults and adults (especially gravid females), species or "varieties" (in the Darwinian sense) with a small population or range, species that are endemic to a relatively small region, etc.

Since I did my Suboc book, the road-collecting laws in TX have been in place, and yet, EVERY single person who has told me that they have found a Blonde Suboc since that law went into effect, also told me that they kept the animal. Notwithstanding low prices for captive-bred Blondes ($75-$100) that are relatively common in captivity, I have yet to talk to a person who has allowed to let a wild Blonde go free, even when it is illegal, and even when they can buy their own for much less than what it costs to drive to and hunt West Texas. And every single animal has been an adult -- an adult of an already uncommon-in-the-wild recessive mutation that is found over a very limited range. I have to be honest. That really bothers me. There are lots of Blondes in captivity making plenty of babies whose founding stock were captured 20-35 years ago. And it's not like collectors don't know this stuff. This is the kind of take from the wild that I do not support and really abominate. Its unsustainable and reflects a scarcity mindset with a poor sense of stewardship. Harsh words? Well, maybe but I don't see a justification for keeping rare "varieties" or species at the expense of assuredly hurting populations in the wild.

Thanks again all, for responding to the post.

DR

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Housing two Rosy Boas -- Help - CharlotteWR, Sun Jul 11 02:23:16 2010
<< Previous topic:  Rosy breeding without brumation - BrianS., Mon May 31 13:11:23 2010