return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Anyone read this about Baja herps?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rosy Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Chris_McMartin at Sat Jul 3 09:58:39 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Chris_McMartin ]  

I'm obviously not against take from the wild (since I breed snakes that descended from wild-caught stock), but I am against several different kinds of take. To list a few: commercial collection, taking subadults and adults (especially gravid females), species or "varieties" (in the Darwinian sense) with a small population or range, species that are endemic to a relatively small region, etc.

I am in agreement with you. I guess the tone of my response was that some people are against taking from the wild, in ANY quantity or of ANY species, but tend to forget where their captive-bred pets originated (and in some cases, they came from poached stock).

I'm wrestling with the whole notion of WC vs. CB, bag limits, white-list/black-list species, etc. There are a lot of restrictions out there which flat-out don't make sense (CA possession limits of ONE for some species?), and there are a lot of animals for which restrictions HAVEN'T been imposed, but should.

I'm getting away from the immediate topic here, but obviously one of the biggest concerns is money. It drives commercial collectors and/or poachers (they are NOT necessarily the same) to do what they want to do, but on the other side of the coin, it limits research in that there just isn't a perceived value for most states' wildlife departments to fund studies of nongame species (they don't exactly generate a lot of revenue for the departments by way of license sales, like game animals do).

I'm (slowly!) working on efforts to partner amateur herpers with state wildlife agencies to build the body of knowledge for herp species. What will come of it? Some ideas include increased land access and other herping opportunities, some species on restricted lists being opened to take (based on analysis, of course), some unprotected species being protected (based on analysis), and in general, better understanding of herp population dynamics, sustainable (or not) take, etc.
-----
Chris McMartin
www.mcmartinville.com
I'm Not a Herpetologist, but I Play One on the Internet

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Forgot to Mention >> - Chris_McMartin, Sat Jul 3 10:00:15 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: Anyone read this about Baja herps? - dustyrhoads, Fri Jul 2 23:27:00 2010