return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Anyone read this about Baja herps?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rosy Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: varanid at Wed Jul 14 01:23:00 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by varanid ]  

This may sound crass but I don't care one whit if something's 10x great grandparents were smuggled. Look at any Australian species; I'm reasonably certain most of those that are available derive from questionable to outright illegal founder animals (since captive breeding was in its infancy when Oz banned exports). Yet I feel 0 guilt about buying a Children's python or a yellow ackie or any other Australian species that's been captive bred for generation upon generation. At this point, it's not helping poachers. They're multiple removes and it isn't like they collect royalties on captive produced stock. So, I wont' buy from poachers. If I know someone deals with poachers, I won't deal with them. But just because someone once bought some stock from a person who bought them from a person who got founders from a poacher? At that point I don't care, no.

I'm unaware of any snakes being extirpiated by the pet trade. I know rattlesnake roundups have damaged (in some cases severely) rattlesnake populations in some states, but that's a much larger number of animals taken, over a very long period of time--some of these have been going on for 60 years, taking thousands to tens of thousands every year over that time. I don't know of any American snakes being collected in those sorts of numbers for the pet trade. I know (for some reason) WC corns still find their way on to price list but it isn't exactly in major quantities. Same with king snakes. I guess yellow rat snakes are still collected substantially for some reason? I seem to see those more often...

FWIW, I have a hate/hate relationship with Fish and Game type departments. When I was growing up in Colorado it was illegal to collect or keep native herps--garters, corns, etc.--unless they were albino. Yet I saw prime habitat get bulldozed time and time again. It wouldn't have mattered one damn bit if someone had gone in and cleared that 500 acre patch of forest out of fence lizards and wandering garters because it became a suburb. It got bulldozed, the trees and rock piles were destroyed and a crapton of cookie cutter McMansions went up. I saw this dozens of times and it left me with a (probably permanent) distaste for CDOW's "conservation" ethos.

Here in Texas, it's illegal to road cruise or to collect on public land--but you can certainly run over any random snake, you can kill them wantonly on public lands. But I can't take one home? Hell, I'm afraid to tong a rattler to move it to the other side of the road in places. As a hobbyist and a snake lover that makes me very bitter. I can't keep the animals I love because we have to conserve them but it's OK to destroy their habitat or kill them out of hand?
-----
We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion people if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
6.6 African House snakes
3.2 reticulated pythons
.1 corn snake
4.2 Florida Kings
1.2 speckled kings
1.2 ball pythons
0.0.1 Argentine boa

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Anyone read this about Baja herps? - dustyrhoads, Wed Jul 14 11:23:22 2010

<< Previous Message:  Anyone read this about Baja herps? - dustyrhoads, Thu Jul 1 09:43:51 2010