return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Anyone read this about Baja herps?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rosy Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: dustyrhoads at Wed Jul 21 13:28:42 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by dustyrhoads ]  

Thanks, Rosy. I appreciate your words.

>>Now, inline with the original post, are we to conclude that you are against the selling of captive bred blond subocs.... since at some point their parents were collected, and you don't agree with that collection?

Not at all. The only thing that I kind of frown on is taking ADULT Blondes that have duked it out to procure breeding rights and potential to pass on more offspring. I'm all for taking young Blondes. For several reasons: young snakes usually have a much higher % chance of not surviving to reproduce, older snakes of many species will often live for decades, and older snakes usually do not acclimate to captivity as well as young ones anyway. There are similar laws and regulations for sport hunting rare trophy animals like male Grizzly Bears...in other words, keeping in mind the potential for highest probability of replenishing the population and hunting sustainably to reflect that. There are, however, no such laws that I know of that exist for collecting rare snakes, in regards to size limits.

I think it would be great if knowledge about population dynamics was disseminated to the general herping public so that we could self-regulate as opposed to establishing laws. Isn't democracy such a great idea?

I think what's done in the past has been done, but again, I think that I wouldn't be so adamant about researching this more to find out how sustainable it is/or isn't to collect adult Blondes if just ONE person had reported to me that they not only ignored the 20 Normal Subocs they saw on their last trip, but they also ignored the single Blonde they saw.

Most of the Blondes that I have/had in my collection were offspring or descendants from a young male Blonde found 18 years ago by Michael Price. Others came from Axanthic Blondes that were descendants of snakes that Mark Bell had back in the 1980s, and even he bought his stock from captive-bred animals from Jim Kane.

The one Blonde that Aaron had mentioned that had been found this year was found by a guy who had been herping the River Road for 30 years. And that was his first Blonde.

Aaron and I disagree, but to me, all data suggests that the Blonde allele is persistent but rare. The River Road passes right through the middle of what most people believe is the Blonde habitat -- the Caliche Limestone. A quick glance at Google Earth will show you that. And yet, the overwhelming majority of Subocs found on that same stretch of road are Normal.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Housing two Rosy Boas -- Help - CharlotteWR, Sun Jul 11 02:23:16 2010
<< Previous topic:  Rosy breeding without brumation - BrianS., Mon May 31 13:11:23 2010