return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

CITES listing for Sri Lanka python.....

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Burmese Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Kelly_Haller at Sat Jul 10 14:42:06 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Kelly_Haller ]  

John,
All boa and python species in the world are listed as CITES Appendix II species. The only python species in the world that is listed as CITES Appendix I is Python molurus molurus which would include both the Indian and Sri Lanka pythons. Any captive bred and produced Appendix I species, if produced from legal animals, are then considered Appendix II animals and can be traded as such with the proper CITES documentation. The caveat in the U.S. is that P. molurus molurus also falls under the U.S. Endangered Species Act which only applies in the U.S. and is separate from any CITES regulations. These CITES regulations would only come into play if you were moving listed animals from one country to another. CITES Appendix I species are essentially under trade lockdown and cannot be exported or imported except under extremely unusual and controlled circumstances. Appendix II species can be exported or imported with the proper CITES documentation.

There has been a constant back and forth argument for quite some time as to whether the Sri Lanka specimens are a separate subspecies. They were at one time considered P. molurus pimbura, but their current official status is P. molurus molurus of Sri Lanka origin. Many people, including myself, still continue to informally refer to them as pimbura. The main problem is that there are no definite morphologic characteristics to definitively distinguish them from mainland India molurus molurus. Color and pattern differences are usually relatively obvious, however no scalation or structural variances have been identified.

Really nice Sri Lanka specimens are hard to come by and genetic purity is always a major concern. There are only two main visual identifiers to distinguish them from mainland molurus. While some Sri Lanka individuals have a partial arrow on the top of the head, a complete lack of the arrow will pin it down for certain as no mainland specimens will ever show this total lack of an arrow marking. The second thing to look for is a series of dorsal “H” pattern markings. Mainland specimens will rarely show these, and if so, only one or two as opposed to a series of them. One of my females below shows both of these definitive traits. I believe nice Sri Lanka specimens are one of the most beautiful python species in the world.

Kelly

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Very nice Sri Lanka molurus, and..... - jscrick, Sat Jul 10 10:58:59 2010