return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Veiled Just Layed Eggs. questions now!!!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Chameleons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: kinyonga at Tue Jul 13 22:51:57 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by kinyonga ]  

You said..."I placed the container under the heatlamp as pictured and checked the temperatuer 4-5hrs later and it said 103F. So I immediately openned the tp to allow the air to cool the eggs.
Have I ruined my chances of having any hatchlings because of this over temperature?"....hard to be sure. I hope the eggs didn't dry out while the lid was open.

You said..."PLEASE VIEW THE PHOTO ALBUM TO MY PICTURES OF THE ENTIRE PROCESS THUS FAR"...couldn't see your photo album.

You said..."Do I need to buy an incubator or if my homemade incubator sufficent?"...if your homemade incubator keeps the eggs in the right temperature range, humidity, etc. it shouild be fine.

You asked..."What is the procedure now to care for these eggs? I read ont he internet to pour water intot he vermiculite every other day?"...you shouldn't have to add water at all if the setup is right.

Here's how I do it. I use a shoebox sized tupperware type container with a lid. I punch two tiny holes in the lid. I fill the container about half full of slightly moist vermiculite. To test the vermiculite to see if its moist/dry enough...take a fist full of it once you moisten it and squeeze it. You should be able to only squeeze out one or two drops of water. I only fill the container half full so that when the hatchlings hatch they have room to move around until you can take them out.

I lay the eggs in rows about 1" apart in all directions in dents that I have made with my thumb. I put the lid back on and incubate the eggs at about 76F. Water will form on the sides of the container and the inside of the lid. If you only remove the lid for a couple of seconds every few weeks the moisture level should stay right. If you see the eggs denting in then you will have to add a little water....but not on top of the eggs...around the edges of the container. If you make the substrate too moist then the eggs will take on too much water and explode.

If you can post a bigger picture of the eggs it would be better.
Hope this helps! Good luck!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Panther, Veiled or Three-Horned - Kyleson, Fri Jul 16 18:17:31 2010
<< Previous topic:  Panther, Veiled or Two-horned? - Kyleson, Sat Jul 10 07:58:01 2010