return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Cool Hybrid

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hybrid Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: dbacks51rj at Thu Jul 29 09:22:05 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by dbacks51rj ]  

At the risk of making the purists angry, I would like to respond to this hybrid discussion. In the appearance department, I agree with the others in the post. I dont think this hybrid will look good, but thats only because Ive seen others that dont. However, anyone who has made hybrids in the past knows that practically every one of them look different, so who knows.
The main point I would like to adress though is the dilution of the "pure" genes and not being able to distinguish "pure" from "hybrid". Now I am a veterinarian who has been breeding snakes for 20 years, so I am as scientifically minded as anyone else. My issue is this: there are VERY FEW people in this country who can provide you with documentation that their line of snakes is "pure". I have some snakes that I sell as "pure" thayeri and ruthveni. Do I know with 100% certainty that they are pure? Of course not, I bought them from someone else. Were they sure? Of course not, they bought them from someone else. And so forth and so on. Even those who can provide documentation all the way back to the original wild caught specimen don't know with 100% certainty. Interspecies breeding happens all the time in the wild, so how do you know that wild caught specimen doesnt contain "tainted" blood? The point is this hobby has been around for so long now with no genetic bloodline registry, noone knows for sure that the snakes they own are 100% "pure". If you have an approved snake reintroduction project that intends to release animals into the wild, then I think you should be put in jail if you purposely hybirdize your animals.
But since none of us do that, there are only 2 factors that should dictate whether or not you do it. # 1 you have an interest in it. # 2 can you sell them. You dont want to produce animals that noone wants and eventually have to be euthanized. Im sure there will be plenty of opposition to what Im saying, there always has been. But I welcome the debate.
If you dont get anything else from this, then get this. Be HONEST. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, represent your animals for what they are. If you know they are hybrids, represent them as such.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Cool Hybrid - Bluerosy, Fri Aug 6 12:48:21 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: Cool Hybrid - adamjeffery, Wed Jul 28 10:15:58 2010