return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Rosy Boas-Male or Female? (Newbie ?)

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rosy Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: markg at Mon Aug 9 14:23:30 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by markg ]  

First the size thing: There is not always a size difference between male and female, or at least a significant one. At least not all rosy populations. I had a Whitewater male that was every bit as large as any female I had from that area. I had Mexican rosies and the male was longer than the females at about 5yrs of age. Just saying - don't bank on the males being tiny and the females huge in many cases.

Mature males tend to go off feed during breeding season. Pretty normal behavior for a male. Of course I always had females in the same room, so maybe it was that.

Some rosies bite - a feed response. Although I've seen this behavior in males and females, it seems that in my collection, the majority of rosies that did this were female, and mostly in Spring when appetites are hearty. The line of Whitewaters I had were biters, so were some mid-Baja rosies I had and a big Borrego female that would clamp on harder than any snake I've experienced a bite from before. And these were very well-fed snakes, I mean fat.

I like how books paint the picture of rosies being so harmless and docile. All are calm, most will never bite, but these animals are very capable predators on rodents and possess a strength that IMO makes kingsnakes seem like nothing in comparison.

So, take your pick. Id get the rosy that you like regardless of the sex.
-----
Mark

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Steve Brown? - SiriFS, Sun Sep 5 11:58:03 2010
<< Previous topic:  Gravid Rosy boa question - Brandonsthaman, Wed Aug 4 10:33:38 2010