return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Taming tips?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Tegus ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: laurarfl at Fri Aug 27 08:28:52 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by laurarfl ]  

Do you have a Colombian or Argentine? The methods are the same, but Colombians take longer to settle down.

First, I use the T-shirt trick. I take a T-shirt that I've worn and place it in the cage, maybe as bedding in the hide or place the hide on top of it so the shirt is the bottom. I replace the shirt every 2-3 days with a freshly worn shirt and I do this for idk...a month or so.

Second, I handle every day. I reach in and pick them and use gloves if I have to. I don't grab them, but I try to reach under the belly and lift them. If that doesn't work, I just pick them up. I hold them loosely and I try not to squeeze them or cover them with my whole hand unless I have to keep them from jumping.

Third, I feed outside of the enclosure as soon as possible. Then my reaching in and picking up to take them to food becomes a positive association. In time, they look forward to me coming to get them because they want to eat. After they eat, I let them poo and explore a bit, a little longer each time.

Fourth, I hang out with them. I keep the cage in a place where they can see people when they are young. I talk to them, I do things around them without picking them up.

I have a tub of hatchlings and they are all different. Two will seek out my hand and climb up me already. One runs for dear life and acts like everyone is out to eat him.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Taming tips? - zeus1228, Thu Aug 12 19:09:39 2010