return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: cause of chameleon death? please hel

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Chameleons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Calparsoni at Mon Aug 16 11:08:14 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Calparsoni ]  

It is really hard to say exactly what caused your chameleon to die and I am sorry for your loss.
I live in Florida as well and I have kept chameleons outside for many years here in central fl. (north of Orlando.
If you enjoy chameleons do not be discouraged by your chameleons death, try and learn what you can from it study up on them more and move forward.
The first thing I would wonder about is how small your chameleon was, if it was a hatchling or under about 3 inches that is a very tough stage to start with if you have never kept chameleons before, even keepers with lots of experience can have trouble with chameleons of this size if they are not careful. There is also the possibility that if it is a hatchling that there could have been congenital defects that would have caused it to die no matter what you did, for that reason alone I have always chosen myself to let any lizards ( chameleons or other wise.) to get some size on them before I sell them off to anyone particularly novices who are not all that experienced yet. I would suggest trying a bit larger chameleon for your next one.
Cage wise a screen or mesh cage is an excellent choice (for the most part should be the only choice.). Temperature wise it has been a little too warm for my taste to keep juvenile lizards of any type outside in fl. right now. I currently have a juvenile panther chameleon and several juvenile calotes that I moved inside a few weeks ago until temps subside a bit. You may not realize it but it is getting way hotter than 90f here right now (it's really been getting into the low 100's quite often.). An adult veiled in a large cage will do just fine in these temps with proper hydration and cover as will panthers but you should be keeping juvies inside right now until you have a better feel for keeping chams out doors. hope this helps and feel free to ask for more info if you need help.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: cause of chameleon death? please hel - angiehusk, Wed Aug 18 12:56:46 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: cause of chameleon death? please hel - zoeyc, Fri Aug 13 19:29:24 2010