return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: 3 toe boxies

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Box Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: carrie12 at Wed Aug 18 18:13:35 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by carrie12 ]  

My pen is 160 square foot, I have a chain link fence around the actual pen and have room to either expand the pen, or create a second pen using the walls of the existing pen. The existing pen is 10ft by 16ft, the chain link is 12ft by 20ft, so I can make a 2ft wide area that is 20 ft long, and also have a 12 by 4 ft area incorporated into the second pen, it would look like a big L. This way they are all protected by the chain link fence. I was also thinking of cutting little openings into the interior walls, so they can roam all areas, they will be able to hide more. Any thoughts on this?

I am thinking the one he is targeting IS easier to catch, she is younger than the other, also she is a captive bread turt as to where the other female was a wild caught bought from pet store, I know bad She seems to be more evasive than the captive.

This is my first year with multiple boxies. I have had the WC female for 2 years now and recently added the other 2 turts, say 7 months ago. I am also getting a third female, a rescue, here in the next couple days. My thoughts were it would relieve the targeted female a bit.

Either one of them are gravid, I weigh them weekly and though they seem to be gaining weight it is not in huge amounts. Will a gravid female refuse mating? Maybe the one IS gravid and fending off the male as she knows she can be injured. It seems here lately that they both are fending the male off. I have taught the targeted female where to hide so the male can not get to her. She is really smart and figured out what I was doing pretty fast

By the way, I am honored to have you reply to my post! I have read many of your writings online I believe I read somewhere you are/were involved in a box turtle restoration project around Katy Texas if I remember right? I live in Dayton Texas, not to far from Katy, I would/am interested in getting involved in volunteering if any help is needed.

thanks,
carrie

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• 3 toe boxies - carrie12, Fri Aug 13 19:00:11 2010
    • RE: 3 toe boxies - PHBoxTurtle, Wed Aug 18 11:22:00 2010
      • You Are HereRE: 3 toe boxies - carrie12, Wed Aug 18 18:13:35 2010

>> Next topic:  found eggs that hatched - mtnmomma, Sat Aug 14 08:58:22 2010
<< Previous topic:  Estivation - StephF, Sat Aug 7 12:45:37 2010