return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: why be at peace when you can suffer?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Racers & Coachwhips ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: yidaki at Mon Aug 16 17:36:14 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by yidaki ]  

reading these posts by you guys makes me think I have found my herpetological bretheren

My friends ask me often why I keep snakes with attitudes or that arent very popular. The answer I give them is 1) "you only keep ball pythons and boas so you would not understand" and 2) There is nothing in the herp world as cool as a snake who can differentiate the sound of my car door vs. my wifes and thus be waiting at the glass when I come in the door but show no interest when my wife comes home.. no boid can do that (I have a few carpets and still have a soft spot for them but not like my colubrids) or even anythng close to that but both my cribos, false water cobras and my black racer have all done that and some do it every time.

My favorites will come out fo their hides or lower levels when they feel my foot steps coming across the room (Im 6'7" 345lbs so my footsteps are probably mini earthquakes to them).

I agree that these guys are underrated and my only experience as a keeper of one is with my black racer for the last few years. It seems so many of the absolute coolest snakes out there are highly under rated.. look at the ptyas rat snakes.. they are insanley awesome.. ever seen one in the US even though they are one of the most common snakes in asia?

Jay

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: why be at peace when you can suffer? - KevColubrid, Mon Aug 16 22:02:58 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: why be at peace when you can suffer? - jodscovry, Sun Aug 15 17:36:12 2010 image in post