return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Question regarding live plants in cage

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Green Tree Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: snakeylo at Wed Sep 15 04:36:23 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by snakeylo ]  

there are a few issues with live plants that have to be addressed. Do you have ample light in the cage for the plant to live? What type of plants do you want to use? Have they been sprayed with chemical pesticides or fungicides or fertilizers. Are you going to be heartbroken if the animal breaks the plant or hides in it? Will it make the cage more difficult to clean?--This can be a bigger deal than you think. If a cage if hard to keep clean, then chances are you won't clean it as often--bad news for the plant and the animal. Here is what I do--remember I am by no means an expert but this has worked for me. I have several plants that are fine in low light levels. Pothos,spider plants,mother in laws tongue,various philodendrons. I use florescent lights on a timer. just regular florescent bulbs. I don't plant the plants in the substrate. I put them in their own little pots that I can move to clean and water when needed. Most of the pothos and philodendrons aren't even potted but are in jars of water where they root. Plants get changed out as needes or as whim hits me. I always keep more clippings than I need for any one cage and rotate them out as I need to. For heat I use a seperate moon bulb over a branch. that way the snakes get to choose their temp and I can control the humidity by the amount of plants I use. My method may not be the most pretty but it is cheap and it works for my gtps, amazon tree boas and emeralds. I have seen all these animals setup in beautifully planted enclosures with expensive orchids and bromeliads only to come back a few months later and see these same enclosures with dead plants and the enclosure be dirty because it was all too hard to clean. Hope this helps

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  what he said ^^^^ - ScottWile, Sat Jan 7 20:09:08 2012

<< Previous Message:  Question regarding live plants in cage - el_jefe, Tue Aug 17 06:38:20 2010 *HOT TOPIC*